Still Indulging.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday, the 13th - our lucky day!





Today we did a lot of driving, through narrow roads which meander round the Sintra mountains as the monks on their donkeys travelled centuries ago. You drive through lush woods where you could imagine meeting snowwhite and her seven dwarfs, you see the castle where the king and the prince on a white stallion were living. We even found the old gnarled house where the witch had her home.


When you look at drawings from two hundred years ago you see barren mountains with white rocks showing. All the trees had been cut down through the centuries gone, for ships for the seafaring portugese, for houses and fireplaces. The wood only has been restored some hundred years ago, by the king who had his sumer residence in this erea, by an english baron who collected plants all over the world and brought them together in a huge park.


My moter and me windowshopped along a street of antiques in Sintra, one was full of ancient ticking clocks, elsewhere we found knight armours, silver inkstands and bnoculars as the pirats used in the old days. Unfortunatly things were far too big for our handbags.
You can googel further picures of Sintra, Cascais and Estoril.

Labels:

5 indulge with me:

  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said…

    So, you're giving us homework from your vacation? I suppose a teacher's work really is never done.

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Blogger Minka said…

    and Doug, have you noticed that Mom is so much more of a conscientous blogger when abroad?
    You think it is something in the
    water?

    Oh adn I have been to taht castle you are talking off. The scent of freshly baked bread filling teh air as I moved almost alone along the rooms on morning. Beautiful castle!

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Doug, you do not need to remember it:) I just liked to tell because I find it interestng. And Minka, will you fetch us at he airport on sunday 15:0 or vill Jón Valur come? Or nobody (:?

     
  • At 3:04 AM, Blogger Minka said…

    Mom, either one of us will come. We havenæt really talked about it though :( I am working until 14, so I oculd make it in time. I´ll call Jon valur tomorrow and soembody is gonna fetch you folks. This might be a good time to remember some lovely sweets in the duty free store, just sayin´;)

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said…

    Yeah, Minka. I almost think she misses one of us.

    I'd like to stay and chat but I have to google a castle and a bread recipe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home