Still Indulging.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Thoughts

Feeling sorry for somebody, feeling with somebody, “Mitleid” – to suffer with.

It is so much more fun to laugh with other people. The laughs and the smiles of the others will echo in your soul and will dobble your mirth and the mirth of the others. So how is it with pain? Must not the same energies be at work, just in the other direction? So if you feel pain with others, will it not double in your soul and in the others too? Does two people crying lessen the pain versus one person crying? Any way, can you really feel the pain of the other one, be it pysical or psychical? I doubt it, better still, I hope not. I imagine, you feel your own pains, the fright of missing, the lost moments you never had with this person, the lack of love you may have shown it times, maybe an unsure furture, maybe your helplesness..
What then is compassion about? Again I can only imagine. Compassion must be about listening with your heart, showing that you care. Hearing what the other wants to say. Allowing them to express their feelings and frights without wanting to change them. Being with them, without fear, without the need to go outside for a breath of air.
I hold my daughter outside sitting on the grass in sunshine in front of the hospital last summer. I felt like I was holding my baby once again. It was a precious moment for me. We didn´t need to talk, we both knew what it was all about. I was rocking her and we just were, in love.

1 indulge with me:

  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Minka said…

    I think pain does not double...I can never feel somebody else´s pain. I feel a different pain: the pain that a person I care about is in pain. It can never be the same, i think.
    Nice image at the end...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home